Monday, March 15, 2010

Porstmouth Local Helps Businesses Through Second Job

by Michael Bruton

People tend to cherish weekends and vacation time because it gives them a break from their hectic work schedules. Portsmouth local Tamela Moore loves weekends and vacation time from her full-time human resources job, because it gives her time to work more. Huh? Tamela admits that she “pretty much has two full time jobs.” She has one in HR for a government agency and the other as the sole employee of Accomplish Moore Enterprises LLC.

“I probably work about 70-80 hours a week with both jobs,” says Tamela. “One day I hope my speaking job is successful enough to be my only one.”

Through Accomplish Moore, Tamela gives keynote addresses and sponsors workshops for small businesses, non-profit organizations and government agencies. Some of her programs last two hours, while others can range up to six, depending on the needs of the client.

The speeches are primarily on proper hiring practices and consist of Tamela speaking and then answering questions. The workshops are much more interactive, though, with Tamela guiding clients through a series of activities to get to the root of any communication problems they are having.

“I lead hiring workshops, personality assessment activities, give speeches; pretty much whatever a client needs me for,” says Tamela.

Tamela runs Accomplish Moore out of her home, but she has gotten the opportunity to help clients all over Ohio and in parts of West Virginia. She is looking to expand to new territories (a potential client in Chicago is in the works), but it is difficult because Accomplish Moore relies solely on word-of mouth testimony to attract future clients. On the flipside, the business’s growth is all the more impressive without any true advertising.

“It’s so exciting. I have only been in business since 2004 and don’t advertise, but I have had a positive impact on most of the groups I have worked with so I have been successful,” Tamela says. “Cleveland loves me for some reason,” she adds with a laugh.

Although Accomplish Moore is Tamela’s passion and she hopes it one day is her sole means of income, she does not want people to get the wrong idea.

“I love my HR job, and it has helped me with my speaking career. As long as I need to, I will do both until I physically can’t handle the hours anymore.” And when she can’t, she travels.

“Traveling is what I like to do most during my off time,” Tamela says, citing Orlando and Gatlinburg, Tennessee. “I am trying to plan a fun trip for this September, and I am taking my mother for a birthday cruise in February of next year.”

But as nice as that sounds and as much as Tamela likes to travel, she just cannot resist putting her time off to productive use. “I love volunteering for my church, Bigelow Church, and I am also very active with the Scioto County Chamber of Commerce,” says Tamela. “What can I say, I just can’t help being involved in the community. It’s fun for me!”

No comments: